Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sharapova outlasts Wozniacki in Miami

Maria Sharapova is through to the final of Sony Ericsson Open after coming through a tough three-set match with Caroline Wozniacki.
14YY5P.Em.56.jpg (316×371) 

The world number two has yet to win a tournament this year, after losing in the final of both the Australian Open and the BNP Paribas Open to world number one Victoria Azarenka.
But she will not have to face the Belarusian this time around and will instead play fifth seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the final after the Pole beat Azarenka's conqueror, Marion Bartoli, in straight sets.
Sharapova looked like she would take the opening set from Wozniacki, after racing to a 4-1 lead, only for the Dane to reel off five games in a row before taking the set.
However the Russian bounced back to claim the second with ease before coming through a hard-fought final set to run out a 4-6 6-2 6-4 winner in two hours and 34 minutes.
It was a roller-coaster of a match in Miami and Sharapova was delighted that she was able to bounce back after the dramatic loss of the opening set.
"I'm really pleased that after losing that first one, being up and playing really well and then backing off and her stepping up, I could have easily just (gone) down in the second set," she told www.sonyericssonopen.com.
"But I really stepped it up again. I went out there and started being aggressive. I didn't stop after I put myself in a good position. I'm extremely pleased that I pulled it out today."
Sharapova has a 7-1 winning career record over Radwanska and suffered her only defeat at the 2007 US Open.


2wnd6jn.gif (168×47)

3193841693.jpg (621×225)

No comments:

Post a Comment