Friday, December 23, 2011

Tennis news 12BET update 12/23


Keothavong outlines Olympic dream

British number two Anne Keothavong has her sights set firmly on qualifying for the Olympics in her home town of London next year.


The 28-year-old hails from Hackney in east London, just a few miles from the Olympic site at Stratford, and wants to be there competing for Team GB in 2012.

Keothavong will first take part in the Australian Open next month but hopes for a good 12 months to ensure she is contention for the Olympics.

"For some time now, my biggest goal for 2012 has been to be ranked high enough by the summer to qualify for the Olympics," she said.

"I need to be around number 60 in the world by the grasscourt season.

"When I sat down with (coach) Jeremy (Bates) to discuss my goals just after the US Open when my ranking was outside the top 100 I said to myself, 'OK, I need to do something good here to be in with a shout,' and I feel much more confident of my chances of making it now."

Keothavong has steadily improved in 2011 and is currently ranked number 72 in the WTA list. - http://www.setanta.com


No comments:

Post a Comment